The Municipality of Staro Nagorichane is yet another municipality that hides many secrets and stories. On the territory of Staro Nagorichane there are many churches and monasteries, situated in the hilly parts of this picturesque area and speak of themselves and the people that built them. One of the most beautiful churches in the Republic of Macedonia is situated precisely here. The church “St. George” was built in 11th century in the time of Roman IV Diogen and was renovated to its present form in the time of the Serbian King Milutin in 1313. The icon painting in this church, which is priceless, was painted by Mihail and Evtihij, icon-painters who precisely here reached their artistic peak. Because of its architecture and the impressive icon-paintings, the church “St. George” is included in the world anthologies of Byzantine icon-painting. Because of its architecture and the impressive icon-painting, the church St. George is a gate where all the centuries pass and where the heavenly and the earthly meet.
The wonderful reliefs and the favorable climate of the municipality of Staro Nagorichane will bring you closer to nature. There are several locations that are not only a rarity in the region, but also in the world. The Megalithic Observatory “Kokino” is among the most valuable old observatories in the world. It is situated in the area of the village of Staro Nagorichane, located on the archaeological locality “Tatikjev Kamen” and is of about 50 km air-line from Skopje, that is 35 km from Kumanovo and its name originates by the name of the nearest village of Kokino. It is number four in the world, from exactly 15 similar observatories according to the list of old observatories by NASA in 2005. Here you will see the markers of the characteristic risings of the Sun and the Moon, that helped the prehistoric people in making a calendar with a 19-year cycle, a major civilization achievement. The locality “Kostoperska Karpa” with its underground rooms and halls that existed millenniums ago will leave on you a great impression and unforgettable memories. Kostoperska Karpa is situated on the left side by the road Kumanovo-Kriva Palanka and is only 9 km from Kumanovo.
Near the village Strnovac is the riverbed Pchinja’s thermal spring-well, spilling hot water with a temperature of 40°C with a yield of 35 l/sec. The water comes from a depth of 300 meters, has a great hardness and a significant amount of iron, sulfur and hydrocarbon. Water from the well is flows into two pools which are used for bathing. Because of the composition of the water, it is possible to treat rheumatic, skin and other diseases, or use for rehabilitation, bathing, and preventive treatments, which should be conducted under supervision of a physician.
The ASNOM Memorial Center was created under the direction of architect Georgi Konstantinov and the monumental mosaic facade is the work of contemporary artists, Rubens Korubin and Elijah Penushliski. It is an authentic replica of the space where ASNOM met on 2 August 1944 in Prohor Pcinjski. At this meeting were 116 delegates from Vardar, Aegean and Pirin Macedonia. Also in attendance were the heads of English and American military mission accredited in GS NOV and POM.
The meeting was opened by the oldest member of the Assembly, Panko Brashnarski, and important resolutions were adopted that laid the foundations of the Macedonian state. One of the most important documents of the meeting established the following decisions: that Macedonia is constituted as an equal federal unit of the Democratic Federal Yugoslavia and the Macedonian language as the official language of the Macedonian state. The first meeting of ASNOM marks the beginning of the current existence of the Republic of Macedonia as a free state in federation with the Yugoslav people, and from 1991 as an independent state. Pelince Memorial Museum opened on August 2, 2004 on the occasion of the 60th anniversary of its holding.
It is therefore a building with great historical importance for the Macedonian citizens and the country. Every year the Day of the Republic is celebrated here by thousands of people and the president or the prime minister of Macedonia attend as guests and hold speeches. Next to the building a library, a typical Macedonian restaurant and a park were constructed.
Zebrnjak Monument is located on a high location in the village of Mlado Nagoričane, 8.98 km away from Kumanovo. Built in 1937, for the 25th anniversary of the Battle of Kumanovo which took place on 23 and 24 October 1912 during the First Balkan War, between the Turkish Vardar Army and the First Serbian Army to be an ossuary of the Serbian soldiers who lost their lives in this battle. In the battle the Turkish army was defeated and was forced to withdraw.
By this monument architecture, Zebrnjak was one of a kind in the Balkans. It was made by granite cubes, according to the project designed by Momir Korunović and the frescoes in the interior were painted by Živorad Nastasijević, on them were represented pictures from everyday life with figures wearing Serbian folklore clothing.
The monument was destroyed in 1942 by Bulgarian army in the Second World War. From its original 48.5m high tower, today only the lower part is left (18.5m) and the three sided pyramid tower is missing.